This medieval village called "Unassailable (anávatos)" is actually deserted, and only tree persons (one old woman during the winter) live here. The inhabitants were massacred by the Turks in 1822 (during the war of independence), and the village has never recovered since then. The earthquake of 1881 further damaged the buildings. According to an old man who runs a coffee shop here, there has been a massive subsidy from the EU for the recovery, but the money has been dissipated, and the work has been suspended for some years.
According to guidebooks, there is a church at the summit of the hill, but, when we visited in 2005, the road was barricaded, and the visitors could see only a small part of the ruined village.
As indicated by its name, the villages is on a hill surrounded by steep criffs from three sides, and it is accessible only from the south side.
The village is thought to be constructed in the Byzantine period, after the eleventh century.
According to the guidebooks there is a church dedicated to the Archangels at the summit, which is accessible from time to time, but when we visited the road was closed at a certain point and the accessible part was quite small, not to mention the church. The photo below was shot from at the end of the road.
GO TO NEXT PAGE