<Location> Pirgí, Mastichochoria, Chios Island
Pirgí is the largest of the largest of the villages in Mastichochoria (southern part of Chios where the mastic is produced), and its populations is little short of 1200. The village is a major touristic attraction of the island because of the particular geometric decoration called "xysta (ksista)" on the buildings.
In the photo above are some of the buildings facing on the Central Square of Pirgí. In the photo left is a kafenio (traditiona coffee-shop) also in the Central Square.
In the Middle Ages the village was a fortified settlement, with defensive walls and turrets at the four corners. There was also a huge tower at the middle of the village. The name of the village, "Pirgí" came from the Greek word for tower, "pýrgos"
In the photo right is the central tower seen from the central square.
In the right is a part of the Central Tower. It was constructed in the Genuan period, and it functioned as the military and administrative centre.
There was not entrance at the ground level, and to entre inside, people needed to use movable stairs or ladders.
Originally the tower had three storeys, and it was 18 metres high.
The tower was abandoned in the Turkish period, and the Western and Eastern parts fell down at the earthquake of 1881. In 1936, the town authority demolished the upper part of the tower, as they feared it might collapse.
In the photo right is one corner of the tower. As it is surrounded by buildings separated by narrow streets, it was impossible to get enough distance.
In the photo above is the church of Theotokos (Mother of God), in the central square of the village. In the photo left is its bell anc clock tower.